Saturday, August 7, 2010

Grandma Sandy is a sucker again


I said I would never do it.




It would never happen.




Not in a million bajillion years.



No way. Never. Not even. Forget it.



NONONONONONONONONONO




Having been a mother for 14 years I have at times, eaten my words.




But this time was NOT going to be one of those times.

Nope.

Until.



A few weeks ago, The Boss started saying that she wanted some new shoes for when she starts back at Playschool in a few weeks. Little did she know, I’d already purchased a new pair of leather Keds for both her and Dogos.
As it turns out, The Boss already had a specific type of tennis shoe in mind.
I kind of put her off, only half-listening to her description of this new shoe she wanted. Every few days she would mention this shoe and ask if she could have a pair. Again, I would put her off saying that we would just have to see. You’d think that after 4 1/2 years of being her mother, I would remember that this kid NEVER FORGETS ANYTHING. EVER.

Finally, one Sunday afternoon, The Boss is shuffling through sale papers (yes, weird, I know) in the Sunday newspaper and she starts shrieking and runs through the house to find me, sale paper clutched in her hand.

Mama, Mama, Mama, Mama look what I found!!!! It’s my favorite shoes ever that I want and they sell them here in our paper! See, Mama? They don’t just sell them in only super duper faraway places like you thought!!! Can we get some, Mama??

I take the sales paper from her and take a look.

OH. MY. WORD.

They are without a doubt the most hideous, godawful, atrocious, ghetto-looking, pimped out shoes I have ever seen.

And my daughter is head over heels in love with them.


Without even thinking first I hear myself saying,
Absolutely not, Boss, I will not buy those shoes ever, ever. I can hardly stand the thought of shelling out my hard-earned cash for such a thing. I’m sorry, honey, but we’ll just have to find some other shoes for school. I simply cannot have any child of mine ever wear such a thing.

"Well, I just love them, Mom," was her reply and she skipped off.

Last Sunday evening, The Boss runs in the room and asks, “Mom, when I turn 5 will I still be a girl?”

“Yes, Boss, I’m pretty sure you’ll still be a girl. Why do you ask?”

“Because when I turn 5 I bet I’ll get those shoes for my birthday or Santa will bring them and since they’re pink I wanna make sure I’ll still be a girl.” she says.

Ok, so Grandma Sandy’s heart started to melt a little bit with that statement.

Then I started thinking to myself that you know what? I’m glad my daughter knows what she likes and has a strong opinion about something. Especially when it comes to shoes! Her Grammy Clinton would be so proud.

Finally, this past week would you believe what I saw on a student’s feet? A pair of the dreaded shoes. The very same.
And you know what? They weren’t nearly as ghetto as the ad depicted.
They were still totally pimped-out but in a cute, flashy, girly kind of way.

ohmygoshgrandmasandyisfallinginlovewiththedreadedshoestoo

And then the real clincher....the name of the dreaded shoes?

Twinkle Toes


So, this morning when Peanut and I were out taking advantage of tax-free TN weekend, we went in search of the dreaded shoes as a surprise for The Boss.











The child is so proud of these shoes!!!

(Can you believe I actually paid $$ for these things?!?)

With every step they light up with an enthusiasm and intensity that could rival the star of Bethlehem. Every time The Boss walks through the room, the flash is so bright that The Chef thinks a light bulb nearby must’ve blown and he starts checking lamps. I’m so totally serious. It is really funny.

So there you have it. I’ve eaten my words again. It’s just one of those things about being a parent. And the funny thing is I kind of secretly wish they made them in adult sizes. Can you imagine what a rock star I would be to my Kindergarten students?!?




2 comments:

Elisa said...

I think being a mom for 14 years may have caused you to lose your coolness factor because I think these shoes totally ROCK! I would wear them myself and just may investigate how to make some. I'm so glad I'm around to help you get your mojo back. Mmmm hmmmm event

Anonymous said...

I read your post about the "twinkle toes" shoes last night and just laughed. Then today at Meet the Teacher one of my new little girls AND her little sister walked in with the same shoes on. My room looked like a disco with all the lights, but they were very cute on their feet.