Sunday, August 15, 2010

odds and ends




We started off the weekend by going out to eat with two of our favorite people, The Pastor and The Gentleman.



It was The Gentleman’s birthday so the 4 of us went to eat at The Old Town Spaghetti Store while Lala kept the kids.



This is my plate. It was seriously so much food that the 4 of us could’ve split it and been satisfied! After dinner we went back home for ice cream and caramel cake made by The Pastor. I wish I had a picture of the cake, but it’s just as well. No way would any picture ever do that cake justice. I kid you not when I say that after the first bite I took, I literally had to pause just like the folks on The Food Network, in order to completely appreciate how awesome that bite was. It was seriously THAT good.



Saturday afternoon, the kids and I went swimming.

Did I have laundry to do? Yes.
Did I have floors to sweep? Yes.
Did I have furniture to dust? Yes.
Did I go swimming anyway?
YES!!!






The pool will only be open for a few more weeks so I figure we might as well make the most of it while we can. You can never go wrong with getting the kids out of the house and making them burn as much energy as possible for 4 hours, right? The way I see it, it’s a win-win situation for everyone, especially The Chef who has been busy with projects around the house. Projects are much easier to complete without 5 kids underfoot.

Speaking of projects, The Chef has been busy the past few weeks refinishing a chest of drawers. The chest has been used in the kids’ playroom to house the tv, dvd’s, Wii games, and Wii accessories.


It’s taken quite a beating over the years, bless it’s heart.





If you think that looks bad, then wait til you see fronts of the drawers....



Nice, eh?

In spite of all the dirt, grimy handprints and chipped paint, my favorite is the blue magic marker. I choose to view it as the culprit’s attempt to improve the look of the poor old chest because let’s face it...there’s not much that could make it look worse. I’m pretty sure that Dogos was the perpetrator, although I can’t be sure. However, it sounds a lot better to say that the 2 yr old was the guilty party rather than an older child who should definitely know better. Besides, I’m also sure that if one of the older ones had done it, they most likely would’ve written words and signed their name. I love my children dearly, but they’ve never been the best at covering their tracks, to say the least.



Nonetheless, after hours of TLC and more than likely a few choice words later......





Looks great, don’t you think?

Tomorrow is Monday again and I tackle another week with my Kindergarten students. Let’s just say that Grandma Sandy will be brushing off her Spanish skills at a fast and furious rate this year.

Also, those of you that have read my blog for a while will know who I’m talking about when I mention Special. Yes, I’ve seen her and yes, she seems to be fine. She hugs me every chance she gets. I’m always grateful when I see her coming because it gives me a chance to run sit down first before she attacks me. Little did I know that all of the hours I’ve spent on the treadmill in an attempt to lose weight have actually served a dual purpose. The increased strength in my thighs has more than likely been responsible for keeping me from being knocked over when Special gets a running start from the cafeteria door.

Lord have mercy, that kid is huge.



4 comments:

pastormargaret said...

Thanks for the compliment. My picture looks like I've been eating lots of cake.

grandma sandy said...

That was a picture from the first winter y’all moved here and it’s one of my favorites! The only other picture I had was from this summer when you’re wearing a hospital gown in the ER. I thought it best to go with the old one!

Anonymous said...

Tell the Chef I have a lot of furniture that could be re-done. He did a great job!

2 SISTERS the Queen and TWO said...

cannot imagine HOW MANY HOURS IT TOOK TO GET AROUND ALL OF THE ROPES AND DECORATIVE THINGS ON THERE. A TRUE LABOR OF LOVE- NICE JOB