Thursday, January 27, 2011

Family stuff

Thank you all, for your prayers for my nephew, N. I am thrilled to report that he was discharged from the hospital 2 days ago! He will not be able to return to school for some time but our family is overjoyed that he is home with his parents and sisters where he belongs!

My father-in-law, The Gentleman, will be moved later today to hospice care. My sister-in-law wrote the sweetest words about him. Please go read about him. No way my words could ever do justice to the man that he was.

We’ve had a few snow days lately. It’s been hard to get into the swing of things after the holidays when you only go to school a few days a week. I haven’t smocked, blogged or exercised. When I have a lot on my mind it’s difficult for me to focus on much else.

I’m not worried. Well, a little worried about whether The Gentleman is comfortable or is aware that he will be in heaven soon. The other night after we realized that something was different about him, I took Guitar Boy to the hospital to see him. He was the only one of my children who had not been to the hospital. He had been a little apprehensive about seeing his PawPaw in a way that he was not accustomed. But because we were afraid that The Gentleman may not make it through the night, I “strongly encouraged” Guitar Boy to go with me to see him.

Our PawPaw was kind of in and out of it. We sang some hymns and children’s songs (he used to teach toddler Sunday school!) and he tried to sing along. When we got ready to leave, I told him how much I loved him. He looked at me and said, “I don’t want you to think of me in terms of being sick.” I told him that in no way could I ever remember him that way. Guitar Boy told him he loved him and we left.

I hope our Lord will come quickly. Our PawPaw has fought Parkinson’s and dementia for too long. It’s time for him to be healed for eternity. But it’s still hard letting go.


No comments: