Monday, May 14, 2012

Family, fun, and a few surprises


I hope everyone had a great Mother’s Day weekend!
I sure did! 

Friday morning, I went to Dogos’ school for Muffins with Mom.



She made a card and bookmark for me and also gave me a beautiful flower.





Oh, how I love this girl!
We enjoyed eating muffins and fresh fruit and visiting with other Moms and her classmates.




This is a sweet card that her teacher made for each Mom.
She took this photo of Dogos’ feet for the front of the card and wrote a personal note to me on the inside, thanking me for sharing my child with her.  I love the prayer on the front, too.  It states perfectly what I pray for each of my children.  Before they were even conceived or born, I have prayed for each of my children.  I have prayed that each would come to know Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior, that they would each share an intimate, personal relationship with Him, and that the “growing up” wouldn’t be too painful or difficult.

As I type this, I am reminded of my grandmother, Grammy Clinton, who kept prayer journals for years.  When she died, the many journals were given to my mother.  Years ago, I spent some time reading through some of them.  Every year on my birthday, without fail, my Grammy wrote words of prayer for me.  Of course, she prayed for each member of our family....all of my aunts, uncles, and each of her 15 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren (now 30 great-grandchildren and 5 great-great grands!) throughout the year, but without fail, she covered me in prayer every year on my birthday.  I never even knew it at the time.  It’s been a long time since I read through any of her journals....probably since Guitar Boy was a baby.  The next time I go back home to The Lake, I will be sure to read through some of those precious books again.  Grammy was a true prayer warrior in every sense of the word and her relationship with Jesus was the most important thing to her in the world.


After Muffins with Mom, I drove back to our tiny town, dropped Dogos off at home with The Chef, and headed back to school.

As I mentioned earlier, MCT2 testing was last week.  After testing was done each day, we had a kickball tournament each afternoon.  In the words of my principal, “We’re gonna wear their brains out in the morning, and their bodies in the afternoon.  Hopefully, then, they’ll all go home and be so exhausted they’ll get a good nights’ sleep!"




I knew we were having a kickball tournament but I was in no way prepared for how serious the students and teachers take it!  Teachers bring lawn chairs, umbrellas, sunscreen, and ice chests full of popsicles and bottled water.  My class won our first game but lost the 2nd so we didn’t get to the play-offs.  Our loss may or may not have had something to do with Grandma Sandy’s lack of kickball coaching skills, but that is a point on which I’ll choose not to dwell!

Middle Man’s class made it to the play-offs which were Friday afternoon, and his class would be playing the team that beat us.  Therefore, not only was I cheering his class on, but all of my students were, too!






Here he is in action!

I think it’s safe to say that Middle Man has found a new passion in life.
The child has lived and breathed kickball for the past week, and that’s no exaggeration.
He even had all the kids at church playing kickball on the front lawn of the church last Wednesday night in an effort to improve his own kickball skills before the play-off game.




Here is his cutie teacher, coaching their team from the sidelines.
She was a star athlete, herself, in high school.
Luckily for their class, she had stellar coaching skills, unlike Grandma Sandy!




Middle Man’s class won!!!!
This afternoon is the 4th grade championship game.
Wish us luck!  
I’ll let you know how it goes.


Saturday night we had a real treat.
The Pastor got the biggest, most beautiful strawberries so she and Peanut dipped them in chocolate and other goodies as a surprise treat.






YUM.


Strawberries weren’t the only surprise that The Pastor had for us.





Meet Smokey!
When the children and I got home from school on Thursday afternoon, The Pastor surprised us with Smokey, a six-week old kitten that she and Dogos got from the local animal shelter.
She is the sweetest thing, and beautiful, too.
In this picture she looks like she has super-huge ears and a big head but it’s only the angle of the camera.  I took a million pictures of her and she simply would not look up.  Her chin is tipped down.  Hopefully I’ll get a better picture of her soon!
The Pastor has been wanting a cat to keep mice out of her house.  
Living where we do, it’s just a fact of life, unfortunately.
Spook has failed miserably in his appointed job of keeping mice away from both houses.  Therefore, Smokey has a new home with The Pastor and we couldn’t be happier.  
Judging from the amount of purring she’s been doing, I think she’s pretty happy, too.


We ended the weekend with a wonderful meal last night of grilled red snapper and a crawfish cream sauce, with risotto, green salad, and a chocolate chess pie.  Thanks to The Chef!
The Chef and the kids gave me a beautiful Pandora bracelet and y’all....I was SO surprised.  Shocked, even!  I’ve wanted one for a long time but just never gotten one for myself.
And now?  I don’t have to!


We had such a great weekend and yesterday was such a nice day.
Most years, it seems, the kids fight and fuss more than ever on Mother’s Day and I end up thinking to myself, “One of these years I’m gonna wise up and go out of town all by myself for Mother’s Day.”
Of course I’d never really do that, but the thought HAS crossed my mind!  Being a Mom is wonderful, but it sure isn’t easy.
However, yesterday was really a treat.
The thing that made me the happiest about the whole day?  Was seeing how excited the children were.  The youngest 3 couldn’t wait to come give me a big hug as soon as they woke up.  
Feeling their arms wrapped around me and seeing their bright smiles and still sleepy eyes was humbling and left me feeling beyond blessed.


It also left me thinking of those women whose empty arms long to hold a baby of their own.
And of my friend Jennifer, a teacher at my school who lost twins at 18 week’s gestation after struggling with infertility.
And of my friend, Ruth, who lost her 30 year old son suddenly just a week or so ago.
And of whymommy’s boys who spent their first Mother’s Day without their Mommy and of her own mother who spent the day without her daughter.


I am a lucky, lucky woman.  I know that.  And because I know how blessed I am, it’s so very important to me to remember the pain that some other women have endured.  I know it doesn’t help lessen their burden, and in the grand scheme of things it may not matter at all, but I feel like in an attempt to not take my blessings for granted, if I can share someone else’s grief whether they know about it or not, then that’s what I should do.


Does that even make sense?!?
Probably not!


At any rate, we all enjoyed a weekend of family and great food.


Next up?


KICKBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!















No comments: