Monday, June 17, 2013

Sun and Moon

Last weekend I went to The Lake for a quick trip home.


If it weren’t for the family, animals, plants and chickens back home, I think I could’ve stayed forever.
I mean, seriously, wouldn’t you want to?
Just look at that beautiful sunrise over the water.

It was nice to be in the company of my Mom and Dad, just me and them, even for a few short hours.  I had some time with my own thoughts.  
In fact, I think I had too much time because I didn’t fall asleep until 2am.  Why?  I’m not sure except maybe I wasn’t tired enough!

It was weird to have no kids to bathe or tuck in, no animals to feed, or plants to water.

Nonetheless, it was a brief respite and I’m grateful.

******************************************

We’re 3 weeks into summer and this time has been good for me. 
I’ve been setting some goals for myself.
I’ve started running again.
Grandma Sandy is slow, but determined!  
In 7 days, I logged 24.5 miles.
A good friend told me yesterday that the worst work-out is the one you don’t do.  So slow and steady is the course, right?

Another goal I’ve set for myself is to strengthen relationships here in my beloved Tiny Town.
We moved here 2 years ago and I have acquaintances but I don’t really have friends. No one that I call or hang out with, outside of school. 
2 jobs in 2 different schools in 2 years is a lot of change....I’m cutting myself some slack....but if I’m honest I have to admit that I haven’t made myself too available for developing any relationships beyond making pleasant conversation with the women with whom I teach.
Let’s face it.  I’m just like The Boss.  She gets it honestly.  We’re both shy and change is hard, no matter how old you are!  

*******************************************
The Chef’s former college roommate is here.  
Will has had some health issues that could threaten his career in the music industry out west so he’s taking a “break from life” for a while and staying on the Grandma Sandy compound.  Guitar Boy has had a blast riding mountain bikes with him on a nearby biking trail.  All the kids love “Willifer” as they call him.  He usually comes to visit between Christmas and New Year’s which is always a hurried visit.  It’s nice to have him around when things are much more relaxed. 

This week we look forward to The Chef’s sister and my niece and nephews arriving to spend some time.  It’s been far too long since we’ve seen each other.  I can’t wait for the kids to play and for us all to be able to spend some time together.  I’m hoping that a trip to NOLA could maybe be in the works?!?

********************************************
The past few weeks have been so good.  I feel like myself again.  It seems that sometimes during the school year, life gets so busy that I almost feel like a robot.  That’s not how it should be.  So....I’m setting goals for myself to be more reflective, more prayerful, to take care of my body and spirit so that I can become more fully, who God created me to be.


I took this picture tonight as I was sitting on the back porch.  I was hoping to catch the beautiful half-moon.  The tiny white light at the very top that looks like a doll flashlight would be the moon......Obviously, I failed!  Ah well, I tried.  Nonetheless, the moon was still so beautiful as it shone in the sky and over The Pastor’s house.  

So.....Grandma Sandy has been thinking....relaxing...thinking...and goal-setting.  And maybe a little soul-searching.  Trying to find my way here and my place.  Where I fit in.  Who God is shaping me to be and the purpose He would have me to serve.  
Reflection is good.
  


1 comment:

2 SISTERS the Queen and TWO said...

your mom and dad really enjoyed the time with you too! come back soon.
the Queen