Friday, May 21, 2010

Moments

Just a couple of hours ago I put my youngest to bed. We rocked and snuggled for a bit as I smelled her sweet, clean hair and then I slowly walked her towards her room. Its my way of giving her time to separate from me and to prepare herself to settle down to sleep. I was in a bit of a rush to get the night-time routine with all of the kids taken care of because its been an incredibly long and chaotic day. But I slowly walked her towards her room. She was awake and her arms were wrapped loosely around my neck and I just had to pause. I was about to lift her up and snuggle her into her crib but I just had to wait. Her face was snuggled beneath my chin and I could smell her sweet breath. I stood there for a few moments, treasuring the sweetness of her. I could have stood there for an hour, feeling the lightness of her, cradling her small toddler frame, smelling the mix of shampoo and sweet baby breath.

My baby.

My baby is really not a baby anymore. She is 2 1/2 years old. But she's still my baby, and the last one I'll have. My very wise mama has a theory that most mamas probably wish they could "have just one more." We have 5 children but if age and money had been on my side I would've had more children. With each of our children I have treasured so many moments. Even the crazy ones because I know that one day I'll miss all of those moments.

Tonight I held her for just those few extra moments. I loved every second.

1 comment:

2 SISTERS the Queen and TWO said...

this post brought tears to my own eyes. Seems not so long ago I was cradling You in my arms and smelling that sweet aroma of love. Yes, these are precious sweet memories that are given to us from the One who gave us THESE SPECIAL BLESSINGS FROM HEAVEN. These are memories that are deepy embedded and sprawled across our hearts and minds forever. It is something that only a mother understands--and NEVER EVER FORGETS. enjoy it while you still can.