Saturday, June 5, 2010

Middle Man and Me


Yesterday, Middle Man and I took off, just the two of us, on a few errands. As I put on facebook, leaving the house without the 4-yr old knowing is like a covert mission requiring an intense level of planning and strategy and I'm seriously not overstating things. The Chef said that the conniption that followed upon her discovery of our escape was of epic proportions. Glad he was the witness and not me!


Our first stop was here.




You should've seen Middle Man's face light up when we walked in. It was like he simply couldn't take it all in. Golf stuff! Baseball stuff! Camping stuff! Baseball stuff! "Mom, I really, really need a new sports bag. Mom, did you know I've been thinking lately about taking up golf? MomMomMom, my glove is really old and I think....."


"No No No No No No No No No, Middle Man. We came to get baseball pants. Oh, thank goodness there they are right by the entrance. Medium looks good to me. Let's go."


Of course he had to go to the bathroom so we had to walk to the very back of the store and pass one bajillion things that we really needed, including some crocs sandals that Grandma Sandy needed, but we made our $10 purchase and left!


This picture is typical Middle Man. As we were leaving, he says, "Mom, wait. I have to do something. Watch this." At first I thought he was gonna try to leap-frog over the post which gave me a mild heart attack. Out of my five children, we've managed to only ever have one broken bone and yep, you guessed it. It was Middle Man's right arm when he was 5. Thankfully, he wasn't planning to leap-frog. Instead, he got a running start, hopped up on the post, and balanced his weight with his arms.



See? I was pretty impressed!

The pole was nearly as tall as him, so he had to jump pretty high! I was surprised he was strong enough to balance his weight like that!



Our next stop was Old Navy. I took a picture of the entrance and then accidentally deleted it, so just pretend that there's a picture of Old Navy right here!



I was excited to find some $10 polo shirts for The Chef and $6 shirts for Peanut. I went in looking for shorts for Peanut but for the life of me, I cannot find shorts anywhere that are an appropriate length. Middle Man said we could just get her some "booty shorts." Um. NO. So after a brief lecture about the trashiness of booty shorts and an admonishment for using the term "booty shorts" in public, we left with shirts but no shorts.


I took a picture of the cute shirts and accidentally deleted it, too! I don't know what happened to me at Old Navy. I think the term "booty shorts" threw me off.



I decided to make one more stop in search for some NBS (non-booty shorts) so we went here.

Because if you're looking for appropriate clothing for a pre-teen, this is always where you should go, right? Unfortunately, the shorts here were even worse than the ones at Old Navy. The ones at Old Navy were really not that bad, they just didn't have much in her size. Walmart had some really cute shirts and look at the price!

Kinda spoiled my joy over the $6 steal I found at Old Navy, but oh well. I passed them right on by because what's the use of a closet full of cute shirts if all you have to wear with them is your underwear?

After a quick trip home to change into our new baseball pants, we ended the day here.



Middle Man's coach-pitch baseball game! He played first base and got two great hits (a triple and a single). Peanut and The Boss went with us while Dad stayed home with my bookends (the oldest and youngest of the 5) and cooked supper. We came home to some fresh King Mackarel from Dauphin Island brought to us by friends who had just returned from vacation. Sad to say it will be the last of the fresh fish from the Gulf for who knows how long.
That was my Friday! How about you?



2 comments:

2 SISTERS the Queen and TWO said...

My Friday was spent smelling the smoke from the burning tree that the lightning hit out in the lake. Thank goodness it did not hit my pier or HOUSE! Fishermen will be disappointed for a long time because they often enjoyed the shade of that tree while catching the large catfish and occasional bass that hide around it!
Blogging is such fun because it makes you really aware of what is happening in your daily routine and causes you to be much more observant so that you have a good story to tell. However, I know some folks that have stories, but well, they don't tell them so that they are interesting to the readers. YOU, my dear have a gift for writing and expressing yourself. We all look forward to more post in the future. You are getting a lot of people checking in on your blog daily now. Keep up the good work.

2 SISTERS the Queen and TWO said...

and P.S. I love stories about Middle Man, he is by far the funniest and most creative of your children and I am glad that he came back after his quick run away the other day. What would we do without him? I think I have said this before, but it is true, HE MAKES ME LAUGH. ALWAYS!