Wednesday, June 30, 2010

random, boring thoughts

Things I'm thinking about this morning:

I'm wondering how my son is doing at Scout Camp. I'm eager for him to get home but anxious at the same time. We've had typical teenager issues going on, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I was glad to ship him off for a week. I feel so guilty saying that, but I'm sure I'm not the first parent to feel that way. Still makes me feel bad. I love him and miss him, the boy I know him to be, not necessarily the stranger that's been bullying his siblings and doing other stupid, boneheaded stuff as of late. I hope he's having fun at Scout Camp and learning a lot. I hope he's safe and remembering to drink plenty of water. Unlike the rest of the scouts in his troop, he's inexperienced when it comes to camping and I don't necessarily trust the scout leader to remind him of certain safety issues. Scout Leader is a great guy but he's not big on the details.

I'm worried for a friend who's unsure about her family's future. I hurt for her and her other family members.

I'm sick of my house looking like an episode of Hoarders. I truly believed flooring issues would be resolved and I'd have everything back in its place within a week or so of school being out. What a joke that was. When 3 main living areas of your house are unlivable and their former contents are stacked to the ceiling in all of the livable areas, it just gets to be too much. I can't even clean because I can't get to the areas that need to be cleaned the most. I'm sick and tired of trying to vacuum around the bookcase that's still in the hall. At least I've quit bumping into it. Hopefully by the end of next week.......never mind. How many times have I said THAT before? I refuse to finish that statement because I'm starting to think I'll jinx myself if I say it again.

I'm looking forward to seeing an old friend tomorrow. We used to teach together. She probably knows me better than anyone else in this town, except for maybe the friend I mentioned earlier. The friend I'm meeting tomorrow went through a really rough patch a few years ago. We've kinda lost touch because after she left teaching and went through a divorce, her life has kind of taken a different direction. I hope to hear what all has been going on with her and I hope she's happy. The rough patch she went through was really, really bad. When you're part of a very prominent local family and you catch your husband having an affair with your sister-in-law, well.....it doesn't get much worse than that.

I'm a little nervous about the upcoming school year. We've had a lot of changes. Everyone is a little anxious about how rezoning will change our student body. I teach at the largest elementary school with the highest test scores and state grades of any school in the entire district. It's hard to climb to the top but it's even harder to stay there. Also, our assistant principal resigned. She and I were really good friends and I will miss her terribly. She's doing the right thing, though. She's been driving an hour each way every day to school for the past 3 years. Now that she's expecting a baby in October, it just doesn't make sense for her to continue that drive anymore. We also have a new principal. Everyone is a bit anxious about completely new administration for the upcoming year.

I had a great time yesterday with a teacher friend from school. We met at the pool and let the kids wear themselves out swimming for four hours while we talked about being nervous and shared gossip. She's moving from 3rd grade to 5th so she has way more reason to be nervous than me! At least I get to stay with my little Kindergarten babies!

I'm really disappointed that we can't go to my parents house this summer. This is the first summer since moving here 6 years ago that we won't be able to go. Flooring issues, kids' camp schedules, Dr. appointments etc. have eaten up the summer. The kids don't know yet and they will be devastated but there's not much I can do about it.

My favorite reality show, Big Brother, starts next week!! Today is media day when this summer's theme and houseguests will be revealed. I'm a sucker for stupid, shallow, reality shows.

I have mountains of laundry to fold so I need to close out this post and get busy.

What about you? What random, boring thoughts are you having today?



No comments: