Monday, July 26, 2010

Christmas in July





Here in TN it gets hot. It gets really hot. However, in the 6 years since moving here from MS it has never, ever, ever gotten this hot.

By THIS HOT, I mean south MS/LA oppressive humidity and a head index of 110 kind of hot. Any of you folks out there that have been to south MS or south LA before know what I’m talking about, right?

For some reason, TN has decided to have heat advisory after heat advisory the entire summer long. I think TN may be jealous of MS or something. It’s the only reason that seems possible to me. The unfortunate thing is, that of all the many, many reasons that TN has to be jealous of MS, it would choose the ridiculous heat with which to compete.

At any rate, all of this heat had me thinking about cooler days.



Like this past winter when we had over 13 inches of snow.




Enough snow for the children to build a pretty impressive and huge snowman who, due to the negative wind chill factor and layers of ice beneath the snow, graced our front yard for over a week before he finally melted.




It is IMpossible for Grandma Sandy to think about winter and snow without my mind jumping immediately to Christmas. Therefore, I decided, on this last day of July, to have a Christmas in July post!!

Grandma Sandy is a Christmas nut. I totally love anything and everything to do with Christmas. My family doesn’t call me Crazy Christmas Tree Lady for nothing. I literally have a tree in nearly every room in the house.

Rather than tell you, I’ll just show you. After all, Christmas is less than 5 months away and its almost time to break out the Christmas tunes.
I’mnotevenkidding.


We converted this fireplace to a wood-burning one. Our other fireplace is gas logs and I’m about ready to convert it as well. Nothing makes me happier on a cold day than the smell, sound, and heat from a good fire.
Especially if there are sparkly lights, Santas, and stockings nearby.



Our 7 stockings take up the entire mantel, so for obvious reasons, we move a few while a fire is burning!


Our main tree is downstairs, where Santa makes his appearance and where we open our gifts on Christmas Day.




Our dining room was ready for the Christmas Eve meal.



If you didn’t believe me when I said I have a lot of Christmas trees, you’re probably getting the picture by now.


Here are my girls dressed for church. Dogos was clearly not happy with my insistence upon taking their picture, but I was not to be deterred. This is the only picture I got in which she is not screaming at the top of her lungs while lunging on top of her sister’s head.


Ah, the Christmas spirit!!



While we all know that Santa lives at the North Pole, I bet you didn’t know that he attends our church.

Yes, yes, it’s true.

SEE?

Told ya!!

I was just reminded that I have further photographic evidence that Santa truly does attend our church which I will post immediately after I publish this post!



I can hardly believe I was lucky enough to check downstairs RIGHT AFTER Santa must’ve come! That’s never happened before!





It didn’t take us long to mess up the order and care with which Santa so lovingly displayed our gifts.




Dogos was in love with a very special pillow she received.

Can you tell?



The Boss and Dogos tested out Dogos’ new ride.




Tents are always a big hit. Especially if it’s a Dora one!




For goodness’ sake, please don’t tell any of Middle Man’s friends that he also enjoyed the tent. He’d never live it down.


One of the best gifts this Christmas was a surprise sleepover with Peanut’s bff who moved to Kansas nearly 3 years ago!




Of course, the real reason we celebrate Christmas in the Grandma Sandy household is the birth of Jesus Christ. No greater gift was ever given to mankind.

The lights, ornaments, ribbons, toys, and wreaths are all just fluff that mean nothing. It will all remain and be left behind, just as everything else in this world, when we each meet our earthly end. Only our souls will stretch into eternity, worthy only through the blood and redemption of Lord Jesus Christ.

...for unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:11

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
the Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31

O Lord, you have searched me
and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down,
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O Lord.
You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
Palm 139:1-6

The love and grace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, is from everlasting to everlasting.

Merry Christmas!!

No comments: