Saturday, July 10, 2010

Home improvements, pool time, and vegetables


It’s been a while since I blogged! We’ve been busy, busy. Here’s a recap of my week so far:

Monday: Chester and Michelle came to install flooring downstairs. The remainder of my day consisted of reassembling that room and then stopping numerous times to sit on the sofa and admire it. I must say it sure was nice to get the coffee table out of Dogos' bedroom. There’s still plenty to do down there, but it’s a step in the right direction. We ate supper at The Pastor’s house.

Tuesday: The Chef brought up the pieces of quarter round that Chester removed when he ripped out the centuries’ old carpet from upstairs. I figured out which pieces went where and The Chef nailed them back into place. I taped off the areas around the baseboards etc and while the kids played in The Pastor’s backyard and The Pastor and I watched them while waiting for pizza to be delivered, The Chef painted the trim work in the living room.

Wednesday: We started moving furniture back into the upstairs living room and started the tedious process of cleaning up sawdust from the dining room. We had to refinish the floors in 2 stages. Move everything into the living room to refinish the dining room, then move everything into the dining room to refinish the living room. You have no idea how much sawdust this process generated. It’s on every conceivable surface, and in every nook and cranny. I’m pretty sure I’ll still be cleaning up sawdust when my 2 yr old graduates from college. The Pastor and The Gentleman came to eat supper and wash all my china and crystal so I could reload my china cabinet and buffet. However, by that time I was so tired from moving all the furniture back in place and cleaning up at least 700 pounds of sawdust, I said forget it and we just ate supper and enjoyed each other’s company instead! I also figured out the correct placement for the quarter round in the dining room. Lala and I had already sanded and painted the dining room baseboards earlier this summer so when The Chef nailed the quarter round back into place and it looked pretty good, I decided to heck with repainting the quarter round! I’m ready to be done with this mess!

Thursday: Met three teacher friends at the pool and spent the day there! We got there around noon and stayed until 4pm. Everyone got kinda sunburned...Middle Man especially so. He’s very fair-skinned and I mistakenly let Guitar Boy apply Middle Man’s sunscreen before we left. Poor little Middle Man! He was red as a beet. He didn’t complain, though. In fact, Guitar Boy complained more than anyone else. For future visits, we will reapply sunscreen during the lifeguard’s break times! Of course, the most logical thing would be to leave earlier, but we since we swim through Dogos’ nap time I try to stretch it out as close to dinner/bath time as possible. Makes “the witching hour” much less painful after a day in the sun. I spent the evening washing all my china and crystal and reloading the china cabinet. Yea!! Progress!!

Friday: The Chef got up early and made a trip to The Farmers’ Market and to Home Depot. He brought home tomatoes, crowder peas, purple hull peas, and butter beans. At Home Depot he got new hardware for a chest he’s refinishing. While he spent the day sanding off 4 layers of paint on that old chest and watching the kids play in the yard, I shelled peas, made BLT’s for lunch, blanched/froze the other vegetables, made a trip to Home Depot to exchange some of the hardware for the chest, and made a trip to the grocery store. While at the grocery store, I observed that it must be “scary looking people day” until I realized that with my gray roots, no makeup, hole in my shorts, long overdue for a haircut hairstyle, I fit right in!

Saturday: Woke up at 5:30am which is entirely too early for any Saturday to ever begin. Unfortunately, my ability to go back to sleep completely failed me so I got up and started this little post here. I’m already feeling like I need a nap but instead of going back to bed, I’ll probably just head to The Farmers’ Market to get more crowder peas and a watermelon. It’s almost 7am so if I leave now, I should be able to beat the trendy, beautiful people.

I should also note that I chose to type this post in purple in honor of my BFF who is returning today from a vacation in Jamaica. The inability to text or call her while she’s been away has been nothing short of torture, so while I’m sure she’s sad that her vacation is ending, I’m rejoicing with an enthusiasm that may rival the 2nd coming of Christ. Ok, that may be going slightly overboard, but I’m pretty freaking glad she’s headed back to the good ‘ole USA.

For now, I better get outta here if I want to beat the trendy, beautiful people!!

What about your week?


1 comment:

2 SISTERS the Queen and TWO said...

the queens says "oh my, I am exhausted just reading what the week has been like!" however, I know that you are excited beyond words that your BFF is coming back to the states, but better than that, you can actually begin to use your house as your home again!!! PTL